The Temagami First Nation Anishinaabemowin Sagaswe’idiwin (AS) has the mandate from the Temagami First Nation (TFN) Chief and Council, as directed by the Community, to carry out their duties and responsibilities, such as:
- Advising and making recommendations to the TFN Chief and Council and to the Community:
- Of how we can best develop innovative, effective and concrete ways to revitalize and renew our language in our communities, and,
- Of certain goals, plans and targets, and strategies to best achieve these. To be developed with community input.
- On effective language initiatives for families and individual learners.
- To facilitate building support for, and adoption of, initiatives determined to be effective.
- Seeking additional resources to help ensure that these initiatives will be successful.
A Resolution Passed by the Community on March 29, 2016, directed the TFN Chief and Council to take ambitious action to prevent the extinction of our language. The TFN Chief and Council are very pleased to create the Anishinaabemowin Sagaswe’idiwin (AS), as a significant first step of our ambitious action. The four whereas clauses of the Community Resolution offer some historical background and inspiration for our efforts:
|Whereas: The language of the Temeaugama Anishnabeg has been spoken and heard on our homeland since the beginning of time.|
|Whereas: All of our Temeaugama ancestors, until quite recently, possessed and carried with them this essential part of who we are, and how we perceive the world and the life upon it.|
|Whereas: From early on, the Colonial powers made it their policy to assimilate our people to their ways, to replace the essential aspects of who we are with who they were, our language being one such critical aspect. Despite the overwhelming influence of these Colonial efforts, they have not totally succeeded in destroying this part of who we are.|
|Whereas: Our people have resisted Colonial pressure and will NOT let their efforts lead to the extinction of our Anishinaabe language in our communities.|
|Commission Members||Patsy Turner
|TFN Ex-Officio Commissioner||John Turner|